Yasst is a lightweight twitter application available for Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X as well as Linux.
It has all the regular features that a twitter application requires like sending tweets, viewing replies and mentions, retweets, DMs etc.
The app has a multi-column view. You can search twitter too. The best thing is that this application is available for all platforms!
- Send tweets, receive replies and mentions, DM
- Image uploading
- Multi-column view
- Search for any phrase
- View user profiles
- URL shortening
- Featured options menu
- Follow/unfollow function
A lightweight twitter thingymbob
- Yasst – lightweight twitter application for all platforms
Tweetz is a windows sidebar gadget for twitter. Tweetz gives you the power of a desktop application with the convenience and fun of a gadget.
The gadget has all the features you would expect from a twitter app. You can easily view your timeline, mentions, direct messages and favorites. You can search twitter, follow and unfollow users, reply, retweet and do so much more.
- All standard twitter features like mentions, direct messages, favorites, retweets etc.
- OAuth authentication protects your twitter account
- Single click access to user profiles
- Click #tags to search
- Number of unread tweets shown in header
- Reverse lookup of shortened links (for most services)
- Docked and undocked sizes
- Clean, concise UI with small desktop footprint
- Hot keys to shorten links and send tweets
Think all Windows gadgets have to be pale facsimiles of their desktop counter parts? Think again. Tweetz gives you the the power of a desktop application with the convenience and fun of a gadget.
- Tweetz – Windows sidebar gadget for Twitter
- @blueonion – .NET, Technology, Life, Whatever…
- @arvislacis – Esmu parasts vidusskolnieks, kurš nodarbojas ar tulkošanu, programmēšanu, dzejas rakstīšanu, filozofēšanu un čivināšanu. // Per aspera ad astra.
MetroTwit is a twitter application developed for Microsoft Windows. It’s a native twitter application which has been built just for windows.
Here are some of the great features as listed on the site:
If you ever want to read more tweets, just scroll down and more will appear almost instantly. Be careful though, it’s addictive and you could be scrolling for hours.
Windows 7 taskbar integration
You don’t have to switch away from what you’re doing to keep tabs on new tweets. A counter in the taskbar will tell you exactly how many unread messages there are.
Autocomplete for usernames & hashtags
The people and topics you care about, at your fingertips. Simply start typing any part of a username or hashtag and we’ll find them for you.
Read excerpts from new tweet updates as they cycle through in the notifications. If you run out of time, hover over the notifications to stop the countdown to read even more.
Resizable and reorderable columns
Not all columns must be created equal. You have the choice and flexibility to control exactly how your columns should look.
Flawless high DPI support
The vector-based user interface powered by Windows Presentation Foundation works and looks even better in high DPI.
Taking advantage of the latest Microsoft .NET 4.0 and Windows Presentation Foundation 4 frameworks, MetroTwit is a first-class native application that shines on Windows.
- MetroTwit – Excellent twitter application for Windows
SocialVisor is a non-obtrusive Adobe AIR based Twitter app that quietly sits on your desktop without disturbing you.
Unlike desktop apps like TweetDeck, Seesmic etc. which take up the entire screen space (I’ve been thinking of getting a new LCD for my TweetDeck!), SocialVisor takes up only a small portion of your desktop. Since its built on Adobe AIR, you can use this twitter app on Windows, Linux as well as Mac.
SocialVisor makes use of Twitter oAuth for authentication. It supports all the functionalities you would want from a regular twitter app such as @replies, DM, favorites, Groups etc.
Twitter conversations are displayed as threaded chats. You can forward any tweet as an email. Share photos easily with your friends as well as comment on them. Split long tweets into multiple tweets.
Apart from Twitter, SocialVisor also supports Facebook. The ‘Groups’ functionality of SocialVisor lets you include both your Twitter as well as Facebook friends into a single group!
- Adobe AIR based Twitter app
- Takes up minimal screen space
- Uses Twitter oAuth for authentication
- Supports Windows, Linux as well as Mac
Twitter and Facebook application
- @socialvisor – A real person tweeting updates and announcements for SocialVisor: productivity focused Twitter and Facebook client in a Sleek, ‘stock-ticker’ like package.
- @atamir – Entrepreneur + Founder/CEO of Intelemail & SocialVisor.com
Seesmic Look is a cool twitter desktop app for windows users. Optimized for Windows 7 (it runs on XP as well as Vista), Seesmic Look is one of the prettiest twitter desktop apps around.
I would suggest you use this if you are particularly interested in using twitter as a search tool. The search results appear in a soothing way helping you keep track of the tweets. You can view trends, favorites, interests, channels etc.
- Desktop Twitter app optimized for Windows 7
- Search, track trends easily
- Preloaded channels, interests etc.
- Ideal for beginners as well as marketers
- Keep track of tweets mentioning your brand
Seesmic Look Says
Seesmic Look is a unique way to immerse yourself in the real-time web. Optimized for Windows 7, this innovative interface allows you to feel the pulse of millions of users or be inspired by individuals of your specific interest. Beginners learning to understand real-time can stay engaged and connected without even logging into Twitter, while experienced users can take advantage of Look’s powerful features in creative and imaginative ways.
- @seesmic – I make updates and announcements for Seesmic.com Send feedback/questions to @askseesmic
Flyar is a must try twitter application that makes you want augmented reality apps in every aspect of computing!
Flyar runs on Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7. You need to have .NET framework 3.5 installed.
Flyar uses your webcam to create an augmented reality image where birds fly around tree branches and fly towards you to deliver a message! Birds of different colours indicate the kind of message with Blue indicating normal tweets, Green as @replies and Red for Direct Messages.
Don’t just wait there, download it now! You can view a video of Flyar in action here.
- Augmented reality twitter application
- Works on Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7
- Uses your webcam to create an augmented reality image
Flyar is a free Twitter visualization application that uses Augmented Reality and gesture interaction. You can set it as your screensaver or just play around with it.
It uses your webcam to create an augmented video image, enabling you to visualize incoming tweets (from your account or a general feed) in a twitteresque setting that you can interact with.
- Flyar – Twitter visualization screensaver using augmented reality and gesture interaction
Jata is a desktop app that mimics GTalk!
More than the features, we are profiling Jata for the fresh take on twitter apps.
The web is crowded with Adobe AIR apps but a desktop app that looks and feels like GTalk, there’s none other than this.
- Update your twitter status the way you ping your friends on GTalk
- Click on a fellow tweeps status to @Reply
- Displays count of new messages received
Jata is a Google Talk like Twitter Application which was developed using VB.net and Twiteroo Twitter API framework.
- Jata – Just Another Twitter App
- @shobankr – A 23 year old techie from Trivandrum. Blogger, Developer and computer addict! 🙂